
Gunfire erupted in Osogbo, Osun State, on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The incident, which lasted about 12 to 15 minutes, reportedly triggered an exchange of gunfire between the attackers and security personnel attached to the governor.
Adeleke had earlier visited the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election. He subsequently proceeded to the Ataoja’s palace in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles.
An eyewitness said the shooting began shortly after the governor’s meeting with the monarch had ended. According to the witness, the attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna vehicle through the Ita Olokan area and opened fire.
The attackers reportedly targeted the palace gate, which was damaged during the incident, before engaging the governor’s security personnel.
A trader in the area said residents and business owners fled their shops as the shooting intensified. She added that the attackers later fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
Inside Osun state:
Osun Election: Lawmaker, 146 Suspected Political Thugs Arrested
Osun 2026: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Governorship Election
The incident caused panic around the palace and nearby areas, with several traders reportedly shutting their businesses for fear of being caught in the violence.
Confirming the attack, Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, described the attackers as hoodlums and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled them.
He stated that no casualty was recorded in the attack.
Sporadic gunshots were reportedly still heard around the area later in the afternoon as residents remained cautious following the incident.
