
The Government of Ghana has announced a comprehensive relief package for citizens evacuated from South Africa following renewed xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals in parts of the country.
In a statement released by Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday, authorities said the support programme was designed to help affected citizens recover from the violence and successfully reintegrate into society after returning home.
According to the ministry, evacuees will receive a “Welcome Home Financial Package” as immediate assistance upon arrival in Ghana. The government also pledged transportation support to help returnees travel safely to their hometowns and communities across the country.
Officials further disclosed that the affected citizens would receive a reintegration allowance aimed at helping them settle back into normal life after fleeing the unrest in South Africa.
Recognising the emotional impact of the attacks, the government said free psychosocial support services would also be provided to help evacuees cope with trauma, stress, and displacement caused by the violence.
Related News:
No place for xenophobia in Ghana, Mahama assures Nigerians
‘We Thought We Were Going to Europe’ — Ghanaians Share Stowaway Ordeal
FULL LIST: Winners at the 12th AMVCA
In addition, authorities revealed that returnees would be included in a special database for job and startup opportunities to support their economic recovery and help them rebuild their livelihoods.
The ministry reaffirmed Ghana’s commitment to protecting its citizens abroad, stating that the welfare and safety of Ghanaians remain a top priority.
The development comes amid growing concerns over renewed xenophobic violence in South Africa, where immigrants and foreign nationals from several African countries have reportedly faced harassment, threats, and attacks in some communities.
Earlier this month, President John Mahama approved the evacuation of about 300 Ghanaian nationals from South Africa after rising security concerns.
Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said the evacuees had registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria after earlier advisories urged citizens to seek assistance amid worsening conditions.
