
Several vehicles were trapped on Monday after heavy flooding submerged the collapsed Moro Bridge along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State, leaving commuters stranded and disrupting movement on the major interstate route.
The flooding followed an overnight downpour that caused the Moro River to overflow its banks, covering large sections of the damaged bridge and nearby roads.
Passengers travelling along the route were reportedly forced to abandon their journeys as vehicles became stuck in the rising floodwaters.
Eyewitnesses said some commuters climbed onto the roofs of vehicles while waiting for assistance, as efforts to navigate the flooded crossing proved difficult.
The Moro Bridge, located between Oko-Olowo/Mandala in Ilorin West and Asa Local Government Area, had earlier collapsed on April 30 after a heavy-duty articulated truck allegedly crossed the aging structure.
The collapse severed a major road link connecting Kwara State with neighbouring Oyo State and other routes leading towards the Benin Republic border.
Monday’s flooding further worsened the situation, especially as the temporary diversion promised by the state government after the bridge collapse had yet to be completed.
Inside Kwara:
NDLEA Foils Drug Smuggling Attempt, Suspect Excretes 45 Cocaine Wraps in Kwara
Children Playing with Gas Cylinder Trigger Fire in Kwara
Truck Crash Damages Seven Vehicles at Kwara Market; No Deaths Reported
FRSC Rescues Two Trapped in Truck Crash on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
Residents and motorists expressed frustration over the slow pace of intervention works, warning that the situation could become more dangerous during the peak of the rainy season.
A trader identified simply as Kafayat said the flooding had negatively affected commercial activities and transportation in the area.
“This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing the cost of transportation for commuters and businesses,” she said.
Some residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project beside the collapsed structure had remained abandoned for several years despite repeated concerns over the condition of the old bridge.
Communities around the Moro River axis warned that more severe flooding could occur in the coming months if urgent action is not taken to restore safe passage across the route.
Following the initial collapse in April, the Kwara State Government announced traffic diversion measures and promised immediate intervention to ease hardship for commuters.
The Commissioner for Works, Engr. Abdulquawiy Olododo, had stated that the government was collaborating with federal authorities to address the crisis.
He also disclosed that engineers had been mobilised to carry out palliative repairs on alternative routes while construction work continued on a new Moro Bridge located near the collapsed structure.
Despite the assurances, Monday’s flooding has heightened concerns among residents and travellers over safety and the slow response to the worsening condition of the bridge.
