
Justice Faruk Hassan Bunza of the Kebbi State High Court has recounted his harrowing experience after being abducted from his residence and held captive by armed bandits for eight days.
The judge was reportedly abducted on July 26 from his residence in Bunza Local Government Area of Kebbi State by five armed men, who forced him to trek about 25 kilometres barefoot to their camp in Dutsen Bandan.
According to an account disclosed by North-West conflict reporter Bakastine on X, Justice Bunza said he met two other kidnapped Fulani men upon arriving at the camp.
He revealed that the following day, the bandits showed him photographs of himself and the Chairman of Bungudu Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Nura Umar Abdullahi. The kidnappers reportedly told him they had been instructed to abduct both men but did not reveal who ordered the operation.
The judge said the bandits also showed him newspaper reports about his abduction and claimed they were aware that N200 million had reportedly been earmarked for his release.
He estimated that more than 20 bandits operated from the camp and relied heavily on informants within surrounding communities for intelligence. According to him, the group also maintained regular communication with their families.
Related News:
Bandits Abduct Kebbi State High Court Judge
Kebbi Police Confirm Release of Abducted High Court Judge
Family Confirms ₦50m Paid for Release of Kidnapped Kebbi Judge
Justice Bunza described the kidnappers as constantly alert despite being heavily armed. He recalled an occasion when they warned him not to cough because they feared the sound could expose their location.
His family eventually paid N50 million for his release, after which most of the bandits reportedly left the camp. Two men remained behind to guard him.
The judge said he later overheard the two remaining kidnappers arguing, with one suggesting that he should be killed. At about 5 p.m., he realised that he had been left alone.
He removed the covering over his face and escaped on foot.
He eventually reached a nearby village, where he boarded a commercial motorcycle to safety.
Justice Bunza regained his freedom on August 3, after spending about eight days in captivity. His release was subsequently confirmed by the Kebbi State Police Command, his family and the state Ministry of Justice.
Despite the traumatic experience, the judge said the incident would not stop him from performing his duties.
“My kidnapping can never deter me from my work. I swear to Almighty Allah, nothing on this earth can change my attitude to work. It will motivate me to double my effort,” he said.
